Social Icons

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

022 Judy Shares About Why It's Important to Talk to Your Doctor

Salam and good evening to you worthy friend! Thanks for dropping by Jimmy Goes Gastric. Today I want to introduce you to a friend of mine. Her name is Judy. Judy and I have known each other since we were kids. We went to school together and played together. I remember the struggles that Judy's family went through when tragedy struck unexpectedly. Judy has been following our story here on Jimmy Goes Gastric and as a result she contacted me the other day to share some of her family's experience with WLS. After talking to her I asked if she would kindly share some of her story with everyone here, and she graciously agreed.

Please keep reading as Judy shares from her own personal experience why it is important to keep an open line of communication between you and your doctor when you are undergoing WLS.






Why It's Important to Talk to Your Doctor

Hi. My name is Judy. My family (two brothers, Mom, & Dad) lived in Fulton, Missouri, for most of my childhood.

My father died when I was just twelve years old. He died because of his obesity. My mother, who was also obese, was worried that she would die soon, as well if she didn't lose weight.

Mom dieted and exercised and still struggled with her weight. It was then that she decided to have gastric bypass. She was thrilled that she was accepted to have the surgery done. I remember her being worried for the actual surgery. She worried she wouldn't survive the procedure, but never worried about what would follow the surgery.

The surgery was a success, and the pounds began to melt away. She lost 150 pounds in no time. But her road was not easy. Everything she ate made her sick. Because I was so young I don't know if her doctors had prepared her for that, or if they had told her what to eat to keep her healthy and she just struggled with it.

I remember her eating cheese sticks all the time because that is all that she was able to keep down. Because she wasn't getting the nutrition she needed her blood sugar would drop and she would go into diabetic comas. Many times my brother called for an ambulance because she was incoherent and didn't know who we were.

The last time she went into a diabetic comma, she didn't wake up. After my mother died I was angry that she had had the surgery, but since I have come to understand that her obesity could have killed just like it had my father. I was blessed to have those six extra years with her.

I know this surgery can be life changing. I have seen many people who have had it done successfully. I would just like to encourage all those who are considering having this done to be well educated about this decision. Keep a close dialogue with your doctor before and after the surgery. Fill your life with people who can support you and help you through this journey. Nothing is more important than that!

Thanks for letting me share my story with you.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment