Social Icons

Friday, October 12, 2012

009 So You Think You Can Dance?

So you think you can dance? No. I am not talking about the TV show. Got you there for a minute though didn’t I. Well I definitely didn’t think that I could dance--that is until the doctor wanted us to add some exercise into our budding healthy lifestyle.

I don’t know if you know this but people who are morbidly obese or just overweight (like me) get more than a little self-conscious when it comes to exercising in public. Go figure! It doesn’t matter if you are walking down the streets in your neighborhood or trying to lift weights at the Y there is inevitably that one person (usually an adult) that says or does something really obnoxious and inappropriate like “Look how big that guy is!” that makes them feel uncomfortable. *Side note: Adults should DEFINITELY KNOW BETTER!!! It still hurts when it’s a child but you have to give them a little grace because they are young. No such excuse for adults!* Whew! Now that I got that out I can move on.

Anyway, as you can imagine when you combine the physical stress of exercising with the emotional stress of what people may say or do towards you, it’s no wonder that overweight people don’t want to exercise! However...it can be done and in the privacy of your own home. One day Jimmy and I were talking about video games and we hit upon a great solution that works for us.

It’s Kinect! If you don’t know, Kinect is a body motion sensor for the Xbox 360 that you can use to play games such as Kinect Adventures and Just Dance 3. You may not think it’s true but let me tell you playing Just Dance 3 IS a workout. By the end of most of those songs your pulse it elevated and you breathing is increased by just putting in a little aerobic exercise. Plus you can judge how much effort you are putting into it by the score you are receiving in the game. Just Dance 3 doesn’t judge on pure perfection--especially set on the lower difficulties but it judges on the amount of movement and the relative timing to the song you are dancing to. So anybody--even a white-y like me--can do it.

Yes, there are other ways to exercise at home but it you are looking for a fun and interactive way to exercise I highly recommend that you try using the Kinect for Xbox360!

No comments:

Post a Comment